This time I went slightly away from the pattern and made pleats on the sides of the pants instead of gathers.
While I didn’t get the sewing around the corners quite right, these are still a pretty great result. They are comfortable yet super stylish.
I just divided the panel by the required width to insert into the pants to form the pleats, pinned, pressed and basted in place before sewing in the panel.
They were a pretty easy adjustment but change the look to be slightly sleeker for work. I am always a bit rubbish at getting gathers even too!
All the deets:
Pattern: Pattern Union Phoebe Flares
- 2″ length (but then hemmed to where I wanted them to sit)
- Changed the insert gathers to pleats
Fabric used: Grey/blue crepe (I think from remnant warehouse?)
Like it? Wearing it? Yes and No (I have been on holiday so haven’t worn them yet).
Notes for next time:
- More care in sewing around the corners of the insert
- Really nice cropped versions from the other testers
- Pleats were an easy change which add swish at the hem without as much volume higher up
- Waist elastic always needs to be tighter than you first think!