I don’t usually do this as 5 separate posts and have been contributing to the Sewcialists Editor posts already. I thought I would still do a single post to capture hits, misses and goals…
Yes, there are more than 5…
I am really happy with how much I have sewn things this year that I wear and like. It feels like I am much better at picking what will get worn and go with other things in my wardrobe.
There are only a few misses, and two of these are maybe-misses still for me. In both those cases, the issue isn’t the pattern, just whether I wear them.
I actually love the Phoebe Flares, but just haven’t worn them. It’s been hot here recently, so I am leaving these for the turn of the season to find out if I reach for them then. Similarly, I liked the Taos top when I made it, but the neckline isn’t very flattering – I might cut it into a v-neck and if I made it again I would try the larger cowl-type neck and probably also the split hem.
In the case of the Kabuki Tee, I love the pattern, but the drafting on the larger sizes gives a different result (proportionally more width in the body) than for the smaller sizes. This was apparently deliberate, but means in my case I lost the cool set in sleeve effect. I am faffing about with it to fix it, we will see if it’s worth it…
My 2019 goals were:
- Keep not buying RTW. VERDICT: Success! I have bought some things, but way less than I would have. I turn first to sewing 🙂
- Continue chasing more TNT patterns – VERDICT: Sort of! I have a new one in the Pattern Union Molly Tee but no others
- Make underwear / swimwear. VERDICT: NOPE – not even close.
- Blog a couple of times a month. VERDICT: Hahahahaha. No.
- Again, sew more thoughtfully. VERDICT: Success! My hits illustrate this well I think!
For 2020, I am thinking the following:
Three repeat goals, because they are important! For the TNT patterns I particularly want to find a t-shirt TNT and one for work pants also.
The final goal is because I really need to nail some fit issues. I want to make my own blocks, but keep putting it off (no garment reward at the end!). My friend Gabby keeps pointing out the benefits every time I bring her a fit issue, and I know it will make all the sewing from then on easier!